Preparing the white asparagus:
White asparagus has a tough, bitter peel that must be removed before cooking. Follow these classic steps in preparing the treasured vegetable in Germany.
- 16 cups water
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 lbs. fresh white asparagus
- Bring water, salt, lemon juice, and butter to a simmer in a large pot over medium heat.
- Trim about 1/2″ from the ends of white asparagus and peel the thin skin from each with a vegetable peeler.
- Place the peeled asparagus in small tied bundles, place bundles into bowling water, increase heat to medium-high and cook asparagus until tender about 8-30 min.
- Remove bundles from water and drain on paper towels.
- Cook white asparagus as described above.
- Boil potatoes for about 20 min., arrange the ham on a plate.
- Pour Hollandaise sauce ingredients in a food processor and run for 90 seconds. Melt butter in a saucepan. Pour melted butter in the processor until sauce thickens.
- Place the white asparagus and cooked potatoes into a serving plate, pour sauce over the asparagus and serve with ham.
- Serve and Enjoy!