A delicious recipe that can be used throughout the holidays.
- 3lbs Pork Shanks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. caraway
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 300 ml meat stock or broth
- 200 ml beer
- Flour or cornstarch to thicken sauce
- Rinse the shanks and pat dry. Use a knife to cut the skin but do not cut through the fat layer.
- In a mortar crush mince garlic, salt, caraway and pepper. Rub the shanks with the seasoning. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel onion and slice into large pieces. Heat oil in a roasting pan and fry the shanks until browned. Add the onion and sauté them, add broth and put roasting pan in oven for approx. 2 1/2 hrs. turning and basting with the broth and beer (make sure the bottom of the pan is always covered with liquid).
- Increase the temperature to 450F the last 30 min. Remove from oven when shanks are crispy.
- Serve and Enjoy!